Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sewaholic Robson Coat Pattern Testing

 This post has been a long time coming, and I just finally got some photos taken to share my Sewaholic Robson Trench Coat.

I was lucky enough to make this coat during the pattern testing phase back at the beginning of the year.  I have made some other Sewaholic patterns and really love how thoughtful and well-drafted they are.  This coat was no exception.



(Pardon the wrinkles.  I chose a cotton/nylon blend hoping it would cut down on the wrinkling but the jury is still out.)

 I really love all the little details on this coat, and especially the strong collar.  Tasia is wonderful when it comes to precise drafting.  The under collar is cut just small enough that the top collar lays just so, no matter what. I also added contrast buttons to up the fun factor.


(So I'm noticing some pulling in these photos, but I think that is just a result of my akward poses.  I wanted to show how much this coat shows off your waist, but with my arms up like that it makes it look a little small, but in person I think the fit is spot on!)

One thing I was worried about was the waist not hitting me in the right spot, and the pockets being too low.  Once I got the buttons and tie finished, though, they are perfect.  If you have a long or short torso, you might consider a tissue fitting or a toile, but it actually worked out fine for me.  The tie brings the waist in, and the hem up a little.

Something about this coat really ups your confidence and you feel like a spy!  As mentioned, the waist is extremely flattering and the coat doesn't add too much bulk.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out, and proud that I pushed my sewing skills a little.  It had been awhile since I took on a more intricate project, and now that it's all finished it really does look professional.  All of Tasia's patterns tend to have that very nice finished quality to them.

Last, but not least, a jumping picture just for fun!


You can find more details at my Pattern Review here.

12 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I did pattern testing too, so I'm just snooping around the interwebs looking at the other ones...Yours is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! Do you have yours posted? I'm going to have to check it out :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I bought a trench DAYS before this pattern came out!
    Online. No returns. UGH.
    Anyway, great job. Love the fabric colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst! Maybe you need another color? :) Actually this is the first trench I've owned and I'm really pleased with the pattern. Thanks for the compliments...I wasn't sold on the color until I photographed it. Gave a little perspective I think!

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I really like the color - seems like it can be dressed up or down. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! That is what I'm hoping...dressing it up or down!

      Delete
  4. I love the fit of your Robson coat, you chose a great colour too and I think the green buttons are the perfect pop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love a good color pop, and I think it makes it even more unique!

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing!! I love the non traditional color you chose! It worked up so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the jump in the air. It gives a certain flair to the coat. I love the color you chose. This would be a great lightweight coat over office-type work clothes. With each test, I feel the tug to try it myself.

    It looks like spring hasn't hit where you live either. We are getting snow still.

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lora! I think the coat itself has quite an attitude, so I'm glad that shows in the photos :)

      And yes...where is spring!?!?!?!

      Delete